Friday, 18 November 2016

The Mirrored Act

Continued..
I stood transfixed gazing at the mirror, had I travelled through time machine? Was time machine a reality?It had the promises of a thrilling adventure.While I was still lost in my thoughts, the reflection in the mirror kept changing its acts. It seemed it had acquired an identity of it's own. In a flash, it was a young girl prancing about in a frock with pigtails,next moment a tomboy teenager, clad in jeans t shirt, short cropped hair climbing up the the tree.scratched arms,  mud smeared clothes. Letting out a Tarzan's call of victory 'aaahheoo' (ok, this sounds more like Jane's cry of victory but a victory for sure)on reaching the highest branch. Achievement no less than that of conquering Mount Everest. Voila, Now!!! A young girl, demure and shy bride (fulllll of sanskar).

The images kept changing, khut khut khut khut.It had a dizzying effect. A dream or nightmare!!. But it did not seem to stop , absolutely no consideration for me,the colours,the backrounds,the images, kept flashing.Holocaust!! As it rapidly changed from a young mother playing with her children to a mother of teenage children. To a dutiful daughter-in-law tending to her ailing father-in-law. A lecturer, bound by timings. Holding the future of thousands of students.

It still did not stop, as it clicked to different modes. A social worker, sitting on the village courtyards surrounded by eager faces. A loving daughter, as she bid farewell to her mother to the world of peace. I was still trying to figure out the fast changing effect, when suddenly it all vanished, went right back in a hurry as it had come. Once again, the original figure came and broke into a jig with a glass of vodka in one hand and ciggerette dangling from the corner of the lips as  it lipsynched the famous Rekha song from the 80's. Saare niyam tod do, niyam pe chalna chhod do... I did not realise when I too joined in the jig and sang in chorus.
To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting reads. Curious for more. Do write n share

    ReplyDelete